Westport and Green's Farms Rail Parking Study
The purpose of the study is to evaluate existing commuter parking facilities at and near the Westport and Green’s Farms rail stations in Westport; identify and asses potential improvements; and develop an implementation strategy. The study will be conducted in two phases. Phase one will provide a review of existing conditions, an analysis of issues and opportunities, the identification of alternatives, and the development of draft and final reports. Phase two will include, but not be limited to a more robust public outreach program, a financial and implementation plan, and more detailed renderings and analyses based on the outcome or preferred alternatives of Phase one.
The study area is comprised of the seven surface parking lots serving the Westport rail station and the three serving the Green’s Farms station. Additional locations may also be identified. The primary study objectives are:
The Study will be conducted in two phases. Phase 1 began in December 2012 and is underway.
- Evaluate all facets of rail commuter parking, including supply/demand, capacity, users, signage, governance and fee structure;
- Provide a range of conceptual parking improvements;
- Provide a mobility plan that enhances multi-modal access to both stations;
- Create a parking management plan to improve how the lots are managed, operated and financed;
- Assess primary areas of traffic congestion on streets connecting to stations;
- Create an implementation and financial plan that prioritizes recommendations (Phase 2)
- Preserve and enhance the character of the surrounding business district and residential neighborhoods;
- Generally increase the level and quality of service at the Westport and Green’s Farms rail stations.
The South Western Regional Planning Agency (SWRPA), in partnership with the Town of Westport and the Connecticut Department of Transportation, is requesting Metro-North commuters who use either the Saugatuck or Green’s Farms Stations in Westport to take a brief online survey to help the agency collect information for the Westport Rail Stations Parking Study which is currently in progress. The survey focuses on rail commuter parking patterns in Westport. Click here to take the survey, or you may scan the QR code:
Phase 1 Scope of Work and Tasks
- Project Initiation
- Review of Existing Conditions
- Analyze and Define Issues/Opportunities
- Identification of Alternatives
- Development of Draft and Final Reports
Westport Rail Stations Parking Study-Existing Conditions Report_June 2014 (18.11 MB)
South Western Regional Planning Agency (SWRPA)
The RBA Group
Fitzgerald & Halliday
Town of Westport
Norwalk Transit District
If you would like to receive information and be kept apprised of key milestones during the study, please e-mail Sue Prosi at Prosi@swrpa.org to be added to our interested parties list.
If you have questions or would like further information please contact:
Senior Regional Transportation Coordinator
888 Washington Avenue
Stamford, CT 06901
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with comments or questions about this site.